Q&A from All About EECVI Webinar

by | Dec 9, 2020 | Blog, Featured | 0 comments

In our recent webinar, All About Extended Equine Certificates of Veterinary Inspection , Dr. Marty Zaluksi and Dr. Janemarie Hennebelle provided a history of the EECVI program, an overview of the first two years of the program, and how veterinarians and equine travelers are adopting EECVIs.

Here, we’re sharing resources and summarizing Q&A from the webinar. If you still have questions related to EECVIs, please contact us and we’ll add them to this list.

Questions and answers from the webinar

There were many questions submitted by webinar attendees, and not all of them could be addressed in the hour-long session. We have compiled the questions and worked with the presenters to provide answers to the best of our knowledge. Click on a topic to expand the Q&A.

Participating States

Q: Which states are participating in the EECVI program?

A: The 30 states currently participating in the EECVI program are: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Mississippi, Montana, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont*, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wyoming. You can learn more and view each state’s ID requirements at globalvetlink.com/eecvi.

Q: Can an EECVI be issued from a state that is not participating in the program?

A: No, EECVIs may only be issued by veterinarians in a participating state. The horse must also be located in a participating state.

Q: If the owner resides at a different address or in a different state from the horse, which address is listed on the EECVI?

A: The address listed on the EECVI should be the location of the horse.

Q: What if one of the destinations not participating, does the owner need to get standard CVI to get in/out of state?

A: Yes, a standard Certificate of Veterinary Inspection would be necessary to move to and from a state not participating in the EECVI program.

Q: Does the EECVI movement permit take the place of an import permit for a participating state, or do we still have to obtain an import permit?

A: The EECVI movement permit takes the place of an import permit, so it is not necessary to obtain an import permit when traveling on the EECVI program. It is always a good idea to check import requirements with the state of destination before travel.

Q: Is a similar program available for other animals or for change of ownership?

A: Currently, the EECVI program is only available for Equine movement.

Q: Is the EECVI program available in Canada?

A: No, the EECVI program is only available in the US for those who reside in the 31 participating states.

SAHO Questions About EECVI

Q: How can state animal health officials view EECVI movement permits for their state?

A: SAHOs can view EECVI movement permits from the EECVI tab on the left menu of the SAHO GVL portal, or raw data may be imported into the state’s database. Check out this video for an overview of the EECVI features within the GVL SAHO account.

Q: Is there a way for SAHOs to prevent an owner from traveling on their EECVI if the owner is not compliant with the program?

A: SAHOs can issue movement restrictions based on states of origin, but at this time they would need to work with the veterinarian who issued the EECVI to suspend a specific owner from traveling on their EECVI.

Q: If a health concern arises during travel, will owners be alerted to restricted movement?

A: SAHOs can set alerts or restrictions based on disease outbreaks, and the owners would see those alerts if they were creating a movement permit to that state.

Q: What are the common errors or issues you have encountered with the EECVI program?

A: We’ve become aware of some travelers who have selected the wrong state of destination when creating their Health Declaration and Movement Permit. Rarely, an owner has tried using an EECVI permit to move to a non-participating state.

Veterinarian Questions About EECVI

Q: Even if the veterinarian follows all the appropriate steps to issue the EECVI, traceability is dependent on the ability of horse owners to complete movement permits correctly. We notice that many owners don’t know how to use the permits (e.g., don’t know that a new permit is required for each movement). How do you work with owners to increase compliance?

A: Even during a traditional health certificate process, there is a significant responsibility on the owner to ensure that the horse is healthy at travel time because the horse may travel up to 30 days after the veterinary inspection. Therefore, the EECVI program simulates what is already taking place with a standard health certificate and each state has the authority to address compliance issues as they see fit. Ultimately, the owner is responsible for not traveling with a sick horse. From a compliance standpoint, we do have the ability to remove access to an EECVI if there are clients who are not complying with the program. Consider addressing outreach efforts to veterinarians with noncompliant clients and ultimately rescinding clients’ access to the program if there are repeated issues. The client could certainly continue to travel on a 30-day health certificate.

Q: Are veterinarians encouraged to not issue an EECVI if the owner isn’t issuing permits correctly?

A: Yes. If outreach and education regarding the use of EECVIs are not working, then the EECVI may not be appropriate for that client. You as a veterinarian are under no obligation to issue an EECVI for your client, and the same goes for a 30 day CVI, if you have questions or concerns regarding the health of the horse. If you have a client that you feel may not be the right fit for this type of program, you are under no obligation to issue an EECVI and should consider that during your conversations with your client.

Q: How do we address horses traveling with professional trainers, but owners are not available to examine their animals for travel?

A: The EECVI can only be issued to the equine owner, and the owner must be the one who examines the horse and creates the Health Declaration and Movement Permit to comply with the EECVI program.

Owner Questions About EECVI

Q: Is there information to provide owners on how to access MyVetLink and create their health declaration and movement permits?

A: Information for equine owners about MVL can be found in our Help Center. This video provides an overview of how to create health declaration and movement permits.

Q: Is there a handout we can provide owners with instructions on how to create their movement permits?

A: Step by step instructions for creating HDMPs can be found in our Help Center.

Q: Is there a need for owners to list who is moving the horse (like with a standard CVI)?

A: The EECVI Health Declaration and Movement Permit will list the owner’s information, as the EECVI is issued to the owner and it is up to the owner to commit the movement permits, as well as the origin and destination information.

Q: Does it matter if the owner only travels once a month for six months?

A: No, there is no requirement or limit to travel on an EECVI during the six-month duration.


Q: Is the EECVI only offered through the GVL system?

A: Currently, yes, the EECVI program is only offered through GVL. You can learn more about GVL and sign up here.

Q: What does GVL charge the veterinarian for the EECVI?

A: Veterinarians on the GVL subscription plan are charged $19.99 per EECVI.

Q: What is the cost difference for the veterinarian of the EECVI compared to the regular CVI through GVL?

A: A standard CVI issued through GVL is $5.00 and the EECVI is $19.99.

Q: Can this client information be moved between cooperating clinics, or in the event of a practice sale?

A: No, at this time, client information cannot be transferred between clinics.

All About EECVIs

This program has been approved for one hour of continuing education credit in jurisdictions that recognize RACE approval.
This webinar was recorded and is available to watch online.