Extended Equine Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (EECVI)

Beginning on January 1, 2019, GlobalVetLINK (GVL®) will offer a new Extended Equine Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (EECVI) solution. This will replace what is currently known as GoPass® six-month equine passport.

With horses moving more frequently than any other species, state animal health officials recognize a need for a program that allows equine owners to move with ease, while ensuring animal safety and traceability. GVL works closely with state animal health officials and veterinarians to develop and maintain a seamless digital solution for fast, easy travel with horses. EECVIs function the same as regular health certificates (CVIs), but allow horse owners to move for up to six months.

Current GVL GoPass Passport certificates may be written until December 31, 2018, and will be valid six months after creation where applicable (participation varies by state). On January 1, 2019, the EECVI will be active and GoPass certificates will no longer be created through GVL.


Coming January 2019 – EECVI

  • CVI lasts up to six months
  • Digital creation, submission and sharing
  • 24/7 owner portal access
  • Greater participation nationally



While rules vary by state, traveling with horses often requires up-to-date Certificates of Veterinary Inspection (CVI / health certificates), sometimes current within the last month. Some state animal health departments allow veterinarians and horse owners the option of a six-month health certificate, as long as a current Equine Infectious Anemia (EIA) / Coggins test has been provided.

GVL developed EECVIs to support the states that offer six-month health certificates with a digital solution. Through GVL’s HealthLINK software, veterinarians can create an EECVI online, submit it to their state animal health official electronically and provide owners with online access to retrieve their travel permits 24/7.


State Participation

Some states currently have legislation in place that prevents the use of extended health certificates, and therefore cannot participate in the EECVI program. At this time, the states that allow EECVIs include: Alabama, Alaska, California, Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Kansas, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

If you have questions about why your state is not participating, we encourage you to contact your state animal health official. Contact information for each state may be found here:

Find My State Veterinarian Contact Info




Find a GVL Veterinarian Near You

Ask your veterinarian if they offer GVL EECVI for the convenience of traveling with horses. To find a veterinarian in your area, use our simple Find-A-Vet search tool. If your animal health practitioner is not listed, ask them to subscribe to GlobalVetLINK, or contact us to let us know the clinic name, contact and location.

Find a Veterinarian Near Me




© 2018 - GlobalVetLINK, LC. Patents Pending