Q&A from International Pet Travel 101 webinar

by | May 2, 2022 | Blog, Featured | 0 comments

In our recent webinar, International Pet Travel 101, Dr. Nelva Bryant provided insights into international travel with pets, outlining the complex requirements involved that vary by country, offering suggestions to prepare clients for international travel, and demonstrating solutions that can ease the process.

Here, we’re sharing resources and summarizing Q&A from the webinar. If you still have questions related to international travel with pets, please contact us and we’ll add them to this list.

Questions and answers from the webinar

There were many questions submitted by webinar attendees, and not all of them could be addressed in the hour-long session. We have compiled the questions and worked with Dr. Bryant to provide answers to the best of our knowledge. Click on a topic to expand the Q&A.

International Travel & Documentation

Q: EU countries require an EU certificate even if just routing through a country. Is it recommended to do the same for other countries as well?

A: It is important to check with the country of destination, and any other countries the pet would be traveling through, to ensure all requirements are met.

Q: When returning from a rabies free country, is a health certificate required to travel back into the US or just the Rabies certificate?

A: It is important to comply with all USDA and CDC guidelines when returning to the United States from a foreign country. Please visit the USDA Pet Travel site for the most up-to-date import requirements.

Q: What are the certificate requirements for Canada and Mexico, when traveling from the US?

A: Canada – Depending on the age of the pet, a health certificate (CVI) may be required. It is always recommended to travel with a CVI and rabies vaccination certificate.

Mexico – Effective 12/16/2019 a health ceritifcate is no longer required to enter Mexico. Pets may be taken to the border where they will be inspected before entry. It is always recommended to travel with a CVI and rabies vaccination certificate.

Q: What would you recommend as an average cost for an International Health Certificate?

A: Based on industry research, we suggest charging $250 – $500 for an International Health Certificate. Veterinary practices in more urban and affluent areas may charge $750 – $1,500 per International Health Certificate.

Requirements & Processes

Q: What are the most useful resources for up-to-date pet travel requirements?

A: The USDA Pet Travel site and GlobalVetLink Pet TravelPass will provide up-to-date pet travel requirements. You can also contact the embassy of the destination country.

Q: I am a USDA accredited veterinarian. Am I allowed to prepare and sign international pet travel documents for my personal dogs when they travel internationally?

A: We are not aware of any requirements that would prevent you from preparing and signing documentation for your own pets to travel internationally.

Q: How do you know when the health certificate needs to be endorsed?

A: Most international destinations will require certificates to be endorsed. The USDA Pet Travel site and GlobalVetLink Pet TravelPass will provide up-to-date pet travel requirements based on the destination.

Q: Does the USDA require payment for endorsement?

A: Yes, there are fees for certificate endorsement. Those fees can be paid by check when mailing certificates, or online when submitting through VEHCS.

Q: Where would we upload shipping labels for countries that require wet signed endorsed certificates?

A: The shipping label will need to be provided to VEHCS when the certificate is submitted for endorsement.

Q: If we are mailing the form due to the destination requiring a wet ink signature, do we need to generate a return mailing label?

A: If documents are being submitted to USDA-APHIS via mail, a return mailing label is required to be sent with the documents. Whether you or the pet owner send the certificates, the shipper will need to include a return mailing label.

Microchips / Vaccinations / Treatments

Q: Is there a list that tells the approved dewormers to use, when required?

A: If there are any specific requirements for dewormers or other treatments, the USDA Pet Travel site and GlobalVetLink Pet TravelPass will reflect the requirements of the selected country. If you have questions regarding a specific product, it is recommended to contact the destination country to verify approval of the product you will be using.

Q: Why does it matter if the microchip is done before or after the Rabies vaccine?

A: Countries require that the microchip is implanted prior to the rabies vaccination to ensure that the pet identified on the health certificate matches the pet who received the rabies vaccination.

Q: What information needs to be on the rabies certificate?

A: The rabies vaccination certificate should include the owner and pet information, rabies tag number, and vaccination information including manufacturer, product, exposure (initial or booster), lot/serial number, administered date, vaccine duration and vaccination expiration date.

Q: How do you know if a microchip is ISO compliant?

A: Microchip numbers that are less than 15 digits long indicate that the microchip is not ISO compliant.

Q: What microchips are approved for international pet travel?

A: ISO compliant microchips are recommended for international pet travel. If the pet’s microchip is not ISO compliant, they should travel with a microchip reader, as the desintation may not have a reader available to verify a non-ISO compliant microchip.

Q: What should we do if we are unsure when the microchip was implanted (ex. implanted by another clinic and the owner doesn’t have the information)?

A: It is a good practice to verify the microchip number and location when you first see a new patient, and use that verification date as the implant date when it is required.

Airline Requirements

Q: What are the current temperature ranges for acclimation certificates for pets flying cargo?

A: These will vary by airline carrier and time of year. For specific temperature ranges for the acclimation certificates, visit the airlines cargo website prior to completing the CVI.

Q: Do airlines require more than a CVI?

A: Some airlines may have an additional forms for the pet owner to complete, however this varies by airline. It is recommended to have the animal owner consult the airlines website for all document requirements.

GlobalVetLink Platform

Q: If we use GlobalVetLink, then we no longer have to do the health certificate through the APHIS VECHS system or the PDF format?

A: Correct! Through GlobalVetLink, you can create the required documentation for international travel and then submit to USDA APHIS for endorsement, either online through VECHS or by mail.

Q: How does GlobalVetLink keep up with changing requirements from multiple countries? Can we be confident that GVL has accurate and up-to-date requirements for each country?

A: GlobalVetLink has built a Compliance Engine that powers the platform. Our Compliance Engine checks the USDA Pet Travel site and other international pet travel resources to ensure that we have the most current requirements powering the International Pet TravelPass.

Q: How does GlobalVetLink handle the sections that need to be crossed out and initialed by the DVM on an international health certificate?

A: The GlobalVetLink platform has the correct health certificates, provided by the USDA, embedded in the product. These certificates have the correct sections crossed out as required by the destination country.

Q: If a client is not sure when they will be traveling, they have an approximate range of time but not the exact date, will the Pet TravelPass allow you to start a draft?

A: Yes, you can start and save a draft without entering a travel date. A draft can be created with only the destination location and the owners information. You will be required to enter the travel date before you can finalize the certificates.

Q: Can you create multiple drafts?

A: Yes, you can create and save multiple drafts within the GlobalVetLink platform.

Q: Are we charged when we save the draft or when we sign the certificate?

A: You will be charged for the certificate at signing.

Q: Is there a place/option for a second microchip in the Pet TravelPass?

A: At this time, you can only enter on microchip when creating a Pet TravelPass.

Q: EU is now requiring a health certificate for transit countries, so if a pet is traveling to Ireland and has a connecting flight in Germany they require a health certificate for Germany and Ireland. Will the GVL Pet TravelPass provide both certificates (both the Germany and Ireland Health Certificates)?

A: Currently, you would need to create two separate Pet TravelPasses, one for Ireland and one for Germany, with the Ireland address in the destination and via Germany. Our team will be working to streamline this into one process.

Q: When using GlobalVetLink, if we have an issue or concern with the system or entering information, what is the best way to trouble shoot?

A: The GlobalVetLink Customer Success team is available seven days a week to assist customers with any questions you may have. When you are logged into GlobalVetLink creating a certificate, you can chat with our team for answers to your questions.

Q: If we have a client going to a country that is not yet fully support through the GVL Pet TravelPass, how can you help me?

A: The GVL Pet TravelPass will provide you a list that provides the requirements (documents needed, health requirements, travel timeline and any additional notes) for any country. You can use this list as reference for the countries that we do not have the International Health Certificate process fully developed, and you can also use GlobalVetLink to create the Certificate of Veterinary Inspection and Rabies Vaccination Certificate.

Q: If I am registered with GlobalVetLink at one hospital, can I use the account with another unrelated hospital that also has a GlobalVetLink account?

A: Your user profile is tied to a specific hospital location, as it pulls in the hospital information to apply to the certificates. You can contact our team to have your profile transferred to another hospital location, or set up a separate profile for the second hospital location.

Q: How do you sign the certificates before you send it to VEHCS?

A: After you have entered all of the information into the Pet TravelPass, you will be able to review the certificates. Once you have reviewed them, the final step is sign the documents in GlobalVetLink to complete them. There are 2 options for signing: Electronic Signature (if the destination country allows) and wet ink signature. You will be able to select your preference before signing. You will click the ‘Sign’ option and enter your username and password to sign the certificates. If you selected Electronic Signature, your electronic signature will be applied to the documents and you can download them. If you selected wet ink signature, your documents will be left blank in the signature section. You will then need to download and print the documents, then add your signature in BLUE ink. Once signed, you can submit to the USDA for endorsement.

Q: What does it cost to use GlobalVetLink? Is the charge to the veterinarian or to the owner?

A: The GlobalVetLink monthly subscription is $34.95 and an International Pet TravelPass is $92.00. GlobalVetLink charges the veterinary practice for the subscription fee and certificates created.

Q: For a mobile practitioner that rarely creates certificates, is there a per certificate fee instead of a monthly subscription?

A: Yes, you can sign up for a pay as you go plan. International Pet TravelPasses are $115 on the pay as you go plan.

Q: What is the average cost per client?

A: On GlobalVetLink’s subscription plan, an International Pet TravelPass is $92 per pet.

Q: What other certificates can you create through GlobalVetLink?

A: Through the GlobalVetLink platform, you can create:
– International Health Certificates
– Domestic Health Certificates (Including Hawaii)
– Rabies Vaccination Certificates
– Equine Infectious Anemia Tests
– Extended Equine CVIs
– Veterinary Feed Directives
– Veterinary Prescriptions
– ForSale Certificates (Florida Only)

Watch International Pet Travel 101 Online

Uncertainty around international travel with pets has led to fear among animal health professionals and their clients in the US.

Watch this webinar (recorded 4/26/2022), to learn about the process, preparation and various country requirements for compliant international pet travel.

Watch this webinar (recorded 4/26/2022) to learn about:

  • Insights and tips for preparing for international travel with pets
  • Challenges and regulations for international pet travel and how they vary by country
  • Preparation for and solutions to streamline the international pet travel process

This program has been approved for one hour of continuing education credit in jurisdictions that recognize RACE approval.