Q&A from All About EECVI Webinar

by Rebecca Haugland | December 9, 2020

In our recent webinar, All About Extended Equine Certificates of Veterinary Inspection, Dr. Marty Zaluksi and Dr. Janemarie Hennebelle provided a history of the EECVI program, an overview of the first two years of the program, and how veterinarians and equine travelers are adopting EECVIs.

Here, we’re sharing resources and summarizing Q&A from the webinar. If you still have questions related to EECVIs, please contact us and we’ll add them to this list.

Questions and answers from the webinar

There were many questions submitted by webinar attendees, and not all of them could be addressed in the hour-long session. We have compiled the questions and worked with the presenters to provide answers to the best of our knowledge. Click on a topic to expand the Q&A.

Participating States

The 35 states currently participating in the EECVI program are: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

No, EECVIs may only be issued by veterinarians in a participating state. The horse must also be located in a participating state.

The address listed on the EECVI should be the location of the horse.

Yes, a standard Certificate of Veterinary Inspection would be necessary to move to and from a state not participating in the EECVI program.

The EECVI movement permit takes the place of an import permit, so it is not necessary to obtain an import permit when traveling on the EECVI program. It is always a good idea to check import requirements with the state of destination before travel.

Currently, the EECVI program is only available for Equine movement.

No, the EECVI program is only available in the US for those who reside in the 31 participating states.

SAHO Questions About EECVI

SAHOs can view EECVI movement permits from the EECVI tab on the left menu of the SAHO GVL portal, or raw data may be imported into the state’s database. Check out this video for an overview of the EECVI features within the GVL SAHO account.

SAHOs can issue movement restrictions based on states of origin, but at this time they would need to work with the veterinarian who issued the EECVI to suspend a specific owner from traveling on their EECVI.

SAHOs can set alerts or restrictions based on disease outbreaks, and the owners would see those alerts if they were creating a movement permit to that state.

We’ve become aware of some travelers who have selected the wrong state of destination when creating their Health Declaration and Movement Permit. Rarely, an owner has tried using an EECVI permit to move to a non-participating state.

Veterinarian Questions About EECVI

Even during a traditional health certificate process, there is a significant responsibility on the owner to ensure that the horse is healthy at travel time because the horse may travel up to 30 days after the veterinary inspection. Therefore, the EECVI program simulates what is already taking place with a standard health certificate and each state has the authority to address compliance issues as they see fit. Ultimately, the owner is responsible for not traveling with a sick horse. From a compliance standpoint, we do have the ability to remove access to an EECVI if there are clients who are not complying with the program. Consider addressing outreach efforts to veterinarians with noncompliant clients and ultimately rescinding clients’ access to the program if there are repeated issues. The client could certainly continue to travel on a 30-day health certificate.

Yes. If outreach and education regarding the use of EECVIs are not working, then the EECVI may not be appropriate for that client. You as a veterinarian are under no obligation to issue an EECVI for your client, and the same goes for a 30 day CVI, if you have questions or concerns regarding the health of the horse. If you have a client that you feel may not be the right fit for this type of program, you are under no obligation to issue an EECVI and should consider that during your conversations with your client.

The EECVI can only be issued to the equine owner, and the owner must be the one who examines the horse and creates the Health Declaration and Movement Permit to comply with the EECVI program.

Owner Questions About EECVI

Information for equine owners about MVL can be found in our Help Center. This video provides an overview of how to create health declaration and movement permits.

Step by step instructions for creating HDMPs can be found in our Help Center.

The EECVI Health Declaration and Movement Permit will list the owner’s information, as the EECVI is issued to the owner and it is up to the owner to commit the movement permits, as well as the origin and destination information.

No, there is no requirement or limit to travel on an EECVI during the six-month duration.


Currently, yes, the EECVI program is only offered through GVL. You can learn more about GVL and sign up here.

Veterinarians on the GVL subscription plan are charged $19.99 per EECVI.

A standard CVI issued through GVL is $5.00 and the EECVI is $19.99.

No, at this time, client information cannot be transferred between clinics.