Q&A from International Pet Travel 101 webinar

by Rebecca Haugland | August 4, 2020

In our recent webinar, International Pet Travel 101, Dr. Nelva Bryant provided insights into international travel with pets, outlining the complex requirements involved that vary by country, offering suggestions to prepare clients for international travel, and demonstrating solutions that can ease the process.

Here, we’re sharing resources and summarizing Q&A from the webinar. If you still have questions related to international travel with pets, please contact us and we’ll add them to this list.

Questions and answers from the webinar

There were many questions submitted by webinar attendees, and not all of them could be addressed in the hour-long session. We have compiled the questions and worked with Dr. Bryant to provide answers to the best of our knowledge. Click on a topic to expand the Q&A.

International Travel & Documentation

Yes. Most destination countries require a health certificate, international health certificate, or import permit to be signed by a licensed and USDA accredited veterinarian. By signing the document, it is attesting that the pet meets the entry requirements for the destination country. As the signing veterinarian, you are taking responsibility for the pet meeting the entry requirements for the destination country.

Yes. Non-stop flights are less stressful for pets traveling via cargo.

It is possible, however it must be obtained by a veterinarian in the EU (https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/by-country/eu/pet_travel-european_union_pet_passports).

No. Each country may have their own pet entry requirements and compliance is mandatory. Documentation that the pet meets the requirements for each country is required.

The destination country can stipulate which product to use to treat dogs/cats for fleas/ticks or intestinal parasites. Please the destination country’s pet entry requirements for more information.

The owner does not need to show confirmation of international travel prior to preparing a pet for international travel. However, most countries require the exam to take place within a specified number of days before entry into the country, so you need to be aware of the destination country requirements when performing the exam.

The letter of acclimation, or acclimation certificate, indicates the animal’s readiness for travel and defines the acceptable range of travel temperature. The document is needed when the forecasted temperature is between 20-45 deg F. The acceptable temperature range can’t be outside the limits set by airline policies. The document must be signed by a licensed and USDA accredited veterinarian within 10 days of the animal’s travel date.

International travel is not recommended for pets with pre-existing medical conditions, however the pet owner makes the final decision. Pet owners must be aware of the risks.

The documentation obtained for your pet to enter a foreign country does not automatically guarantee its return to the US. To return to the US, your dog/cat must meet CDC’s dogs/cat importation regulatory requirements and comply with the requirements stipulated by the air carrier. Depending upon your length of stay in a foreign country, you may have to see a veterinarian to obtain a health certificate, etc prior to returning to the US.

If a pet does not meet the entry requirements of the destination country, it can be denied entry and ordered to be returned to the origin country; it can be placed into mandatory quarantine, or it can be humanely euthanized.

The importation of dogs and cats is under the regulatory authority of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

No, it is not.

APHIS 7001 Form

APHIS 7001 forms for domestic travel (within the continental US) do not need to be endorsed. However, many states are no longer accepting the APHIS 7001 form for domestic travel. Learn more about the acceptance of the 7001 form here.

Emotional Support / Service Animals

The entry requirements for pets do not change because the animal is a service animal. Please contact the destinaton country for more information regarding their service animal policies.

Please see table with contact info for airlines. (Airline Pet Policy Information)

Destination Requirements

We are happy to help answer your questions and direct you to the appropriate resources. You can contact the GVL Customer Success Team at 515-817-5704 or gvlsupport@globalvetlink.com. You can also visit the USDA Pet Travel website for additional information on international pet travel.

Rabies Vaccination Certificates

Yes, the rabies vaccination certificate needs to be signed by the administering party.

An initial (may also be called a primary) vaccine, is the first vaccination of a pet. This vaccination must not be before three months of age and is only good for one year.

A booster is any vaccination following the initial vaccination, as long as the initial vaccination is still current. The booster vaccination can be good for one, two or three years. If any vaccination (initial or booster) is allowed to expire before re-vaccination can occur, then the next vaccination will automatically be an initial vaccination and only good for one year.

After initial vaccination there is usually a 21-day waiting period. It is after that time that the pet would be immune to the disease.

GVL Platform

Yes. The GVL platform currently (as of 8/3/2020) has built in requirements for 29 countries. You can learn more about international pet movement compliance documentation here.

Yes. Our team is working to add additional countries to the GVL platform. The full list of countries with built in requirements is provided here.